Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bocas del Toro, Panama

Some of these entries are out of order but that's okay, I'm finally getting around to posting. It's also 5am right now and I'm not in the mood to edit so hopefully there's not a lot of typos. Haha, I've been up since about 3:15am and wasn't able fall back asleep because as soon as I got up my brain turned on and I started making a to do list. Not wanting to forget I got up to write it down and I just figured I'd do something to kill time before I have to start getting ready for work.

Anyway, I went to Pananma the weekend before my sister came for 3 days. It was about a 7 hour bus ride (with no A/C) down to the border of Panama from San Jose, Costa Rica. I went with a few friends from school. When we got to the border we had to get off the bus and walk across the bridge to Panama and go through customs. That was an experience. The bridge must have been at least 100 years old and about to break. It was scary...especially since I've always had a little phobia of bridges. This one was small and also had huge semi-trucks crossing it at the same time, literally inches from my body. They made the whole bridge shake!! After customs, you have to take a cab to a port and then take a boat for about an hour to the main tourist island. That was fun.

Bocas del Toro is a region of Panama, I think, and it has a group of islands that are popular to visit. I had heard it was absolutely beautiful. It was really nice, don't get me wrong, but living in Hawaii and having visited a number of beaches in the Caribbean, it's not the most beautiful place I've ever been. But, it was a nice place to go and I had a good time. It's definitely a hostel type town with lots of backpackers from all over the world. However, after the long bus ride, I was a little hot and cranky and not in the mood to sleep in a semi-gross, hot, sticky hostel so I stayed at a hotel next to the one my friends stayed in for $30/night. It was more than the $10/night my friends paid but I had A/C and a private, clean bathroom. I'm not opposed to hostels and I'm sure will stay in them in the future but sometimes you just need some privacy.

While I was there, I went to a few beaches, and snorkeling with my friends. It was fun to meet people from all over the world. Here are my highlight photos:



No comments: