Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Juneathon: Day 5

Today I met with my running buddy Eileen for a little cross training.  My marathon training plan has 2 days a week of cross training.  For now, I'm choosing to bike because my sister is lending me her super nice road bike.  I was supposed to bike twice last week, but I totally wussed out.  I hadn't been on a bike in so long and I was intimidated by it.  Thankfully, Eileen is a good runner and biker so we met up to get it done.  I rode 1.5 miles to her house and then we hoped on the W&OD trail for 10 miles and I rode back home for a total of 12 miles.  The weather was beautiful and the ride was perfect.  I have a new love!  It certainly felt a lot easier than running.  Our path was pretty much flat and was a nice way to ease into biking.  I'm looking forward to the next ride.  I have a feeling that this could become another obsession!  On the ride I started talking to Eileen about doing bike races too...but that will have to wait until at least next year. For now, I'll stick with short cross train rides.

After I got home from the ride I cooked the creamy avocado pasta I was so excited to try yesterday.  I didn't have any fresh basil so I had to substitute it with dried basil.  I also had the worst avocados ever that were totally hard and not ripe.  I also don't have a food processor, which usually isn't a problem because my Vitamix does the trick, but the avocados were so hard that it just didn't cut it.  I have to say tonight it was a failed attempt.  I ate it and it was okay, but not quite what I was hoping for.  I'm not about to count it out just yet.  I have 2 more avocados and will try it again when they are ready.

Finally, I had to get my ab work in for the ab challenge.  Today was 30 sit-ups, 12 crunches, 12 leg raises and a 20 second plank.  The sit-ups weren't as hard today.  I think I finally figured out the rhythm!  The last day of the challenge ends with 125 sit-ups.  Right now that seems impossible.

No comments: