Sunday, January 27, 2013

Janathon Day 27

Only 4 more days left of Janathon!  It's been a good challenge, but I'm ready for it to be over so I don't feel like such a lame-o for forgetting to post so much.  Anyway, today was a good, active day.  I got up at 6:30am, cooked a nutritious breakfast and got into my pre-race mode.  I met up with a few other members from my Red Felt Running Club (the best club ever!!) and we ran a memorial race for the children of Sandy Hook. You could run a 5k or half marathon.  I ended up doing my own personal thing and did a 10k because I was supposed to yesterday and only ended up doing a mile on the treadmill (a whole other story).

It was definitely very chilly this morning as we met up, but it was a great little race.  People were doing it all over the country and could do it any time before January 31st.  It was nice to have a few others to run it with.  One of our club members got there early and set up a sign with all the children's names and a prayer that a pastor in our club wrote.  She also set up signs throughout the run with pictures of the kids and little quotes.  We all wore a picture of a child who was killed and there was a story about them on the back of it.  It was a sweet gesture.  We had a moment of silence before the start, read all the names, listened to the Star Spangled Banner and then we were off.  It was a lovely run and the trail was beautiful.  We started at Jack's Boat House and ran on the Capital Crescent Trail.  It was my first time running there and certainly won't be my last!

After the run I came home, took a nap and then started cooking some meals for the week.  I made a yummy quinoa salad, which will be a new staple in my diet and a maple chili recipe a coworker gave me.  I'm excited to try it.  I made it vegetarian with veggie crumbles instead of beef and sausage like it called for.  I'm not a vegetarian, but I've been trying to limit my meat intake lately and I've been feeling great so I'm going to eat meat very sparingly, or when I'm with my boyfriend.  He pretty much eats all meat so we make interesting combination.  Figuring out what to cook when we do cook together is never easy.

On a side note, this week I also participated in a week-long ab challenge where we pledged to finish 1250 sit-ups throughout the week.  It comes to 179 per day.  I did miss Friday, by accident, but made it up on Saturday and happy to say that I did complete the challenge!  It felt great to accomplish one since I didn't follow Janathon or the No Junk Food challenges perfectly.  All in all, it's been a great month and I'm just counting down the days until I go to Las Vegas.  I leave in 10 days!!

No comments: