Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy 26th!

I turned 26 last week and had a great birthday. I don't know what it is about birthdays, especially mine, that I love. Most people list Christmas as their favorite holiday, but mine has always been May 28th, the day I arrived to spice things up in my family :) I'm sure they might not use the words "spice things up," but I know things wouldn't be quite the same without me...I'm sure they'd be quieter and less stressful, but then there'd be less fun! Anyway, birthdays are special days. I would much rather have a huge birthday than Christmas. I love getting gifts at Christmas, don't get me wrong, but if I had to choose between the two and which I would like more, it would be my birthday, no question!

Usually, before my birthday, I would remind my family a few weeks in advance of the upcoming day (I'm the youngest, so I can do that), and tell them a few things I wouldn't mind receiving as gifts. I figure, if they're going to get me a gift, it might as well be something I want. This year I really wanted a new iPod touch (I didn't think I would get one, but it was worth a shot). I have an iPod, but it's a little outdated, which isn't a big deal and I don't mind keeping. However, I dropped it a few months ago (big surprise there since I drop everything) and cracked the screen. Now you can't really read the songs or playlists. It still works though. The only reason I wanted the touch versus the others was that you can get all those fun apps on it and access the internet. I think it would be useful considering I like to travel. I can be on one of my many adventures, yet still keep my friends posted much easier than without it or having to find an internet cafe.

I knew my parents wouldn't spend that much on a gift because it's expensive...I wanted the 32GB because I have 17GB of just music. Once I started adding apps, I knew I would need some more space. My parents gave me money, which in our family is the gift of choice as it is so much easier. My brother chipped in with a gift card to Best Buy to help me get the touch and I'm sure my sister will bring something fabulous next week when she comes to visit. A few of my friends also got me some awesome gifts that I love.

This year was a little different for me. I didn't make a big deal of my birthday like I normally do. Well, except for when my presents were a little tardy from my brother and sister...I know that might sound selfish, but in my family it's not a big surprise. I figure they know how special it is to me and that I've come to expect something. I thought that if I didn't make a big fuss this year they would appreciate that because they tend to think I'm a little selfish and spoiled, but what youngest child isn't? As for the big day, it was AWESOME!! I told some of my students because they sometimes ask. It turned out to be a great idea because some of them came to school early to decorate my room. It was so sweet. Some of them brought me little treats and made me cards. I loved it. And, of course a few classes sang happy birthday. I felt very special. I did feel a little guilty that the other teachers don't always get the same treatment, then again, if they don't tell the kids, they won't get anything, so I shouldn't really feel bad about it.

After work I went to the Cheesecake Factory (one of my favorites) with some of my friends. It was a nice little dinner mixed with great food, laughs and amazing cheesecake. It feels a little weird to know that age is creeping up on me. I'm still young and have many great years ahead, but I'm realizing that the older I get, the faster time goes. I'm not quite sure why that is, but it is most definitely true! Oh yes, and I did end up getting the iPod touch as a gift from a very special friend, which I very much appreciate!! Thank you so much to all my friends and family for making May 28th, a very special day for me. It was probably one of the best birthdays to date. I've had some great days, and this year is in the top 5. Now, I have to wait a whole year for the next special treatment...;)

No comments: