Saturday, May 31, 2008

Things I Love

It's official, I've been in CR for a week now. I'm not going to lie, it was a pretty big adjustment at first. I knew I was coming here for 8 weeks to study spanish...not just soak up all the goodness it has to offer, although that was a side plan too. I'm here on a mission, to try to understnad what people are saying to me...haha! So, for the first few days I was pretty overwhelmed and unsure if I wanted to stay. I mean, it was cold, raining all the time and I didn't know half of what was going on. Part of it was nerves I'm sure too. I was also a few thousand miles away from my friends, family and cell phone. Not to mention...a very special someone. Haha, traveling is awesome but it's a little weird when you have a significant other back at home waiting for you. I miss him but, I made these plans and I'm going to live my life and not be sad about it. Now that I've been here a week things are getting easier, I at least understand my host family (for the most part) and my teacher. I can order food by myself (somtimes with some confusion) and I'm getting around and feeling a little more at home.

This brings me to my list of things I love so far about Costa Rica.

1. LA COMIDA!! The food here is excellent. I've not had anything that I didn't like so far. It is healthier too. Although, I do need to be careful and not eat too much because I can't be gaining a few pounds. Normally I wouldn't care but I'm going to be a bridesmaid the week I get back and my dress is very fitted. There's no room to grow...if you know what I mean :)

2. The buses. At first, I was terrified of the public buses. First, because I didn't want to get on the wrong one and end up somewhere I'm unfamilar with but also, because I felt like a fish out of water. Now, I go everywhere on the bus and I like it. It's super cheap. Each ride is about 30 cents. Also, it beats driving. If I lived here I wouldn't own a car. The buses go all over the country and for really cheap prices. I'll be able to catch a bus anywhere for about $4-6, you can't beat that.

3. The spanish language. Although, I still struggle a lot to understand people, I love being surrounded by it. Also, seeing all the signs really helps improve my vocabulary.

4. Costa Rican men. Haha, so far, they've been pretty good looking...not everyone of course, but I see a lot of nice eye candy each day. Maybe one of these days I'll meet one to take me around on a tour :)

No comments: