Thursday, April 10, 2008

2nd Stop: Belize City, Belize

Our 2nd stop was Belize City. I've also already been there but we went on a canopy/zipline tour and didn't really get to walk around since our time at the port was so short. This time around we didn't plan any shore excursions. It ended up being a good thing because the water was so choppy the cruise ship took a long time to tender everyone out to the shore. Belize is too shallow to dock at so ships have to anchor 5 miles out and take little boats to shore. The picture to the right is my uncle, brother and sister's boyfriend on our way to shore. The boat ride took a while because the waves were pretty big but we made it.

My sister, her boyfriend and I walked around the city on our own. We were on the hunt for local food and finally found a place but were scared off by the high prices, then realized later that it was in Belize dollars so it was actually cheap but we were already gone when we realized is so no local food for us. Oh well, next time. While we were walking we passed this building (picture to the left) and saw a group of boys jumping off the docks. Of course my sister's boyfriend wanted to join in because he's all about doing outdoorsy things so he jumped in the water and swam to them. When we got there the gate was closed so that was the only want to get to where the boys were. When he got to them they took him somewhere in the building where we couldn't see them. My sister got all nervous and worried so I said I'd go see what was up. We figured out a way through the gate and I walked to the building. The guys were jumping from the roof when I got there and I guess they were screaming (I didn't hear it). My sister heard the screams and thought it was me and was freaking out. Luckily, it wasn't anything to worry about. It was kind of funny. The boys were just having fun jumping into the water. Joe ended up cutting his feet up on the coral, ouch! We talked to the boys, who were on vacation from Mexico, for a bit and then continued our journey. I bought some fruit and sugar cane, yummy.

I left my sister and went off on my own to talk to people and shop around. I met this one kid who worked at a little shop and talked to him for a while about Belize. He was maybe 18 or 19 years old. I think he liked me. Haha! When I was leaving he told me I was the nicest person he met and he wanted to give me a hug. He said no tourists every stop and talk to him like that. I wanted to know about the country, I didn't think it was that different but I gave him a hug and then went on my way. After my shopping I headed to the port to take a boat back to the ship. I got to ride on a boat named Amy!! I saw it there 2 years ago when we were there and took the picture to the left. I was excited that I got to ride on it and of course I told the guys that owned it that my name was Amy too. They let me sit on the top by the steering wheel and I thought that was cool but later regretted it since I got drenched by sea water on the ride back. It sucked because I got salt water in my eyes and I was soaking wet when I got back to the ship and their A/C was cranking. It was cold! All in all it was a good day. Belize is nice to visit for a day but I don't know that I would want to go back for a week. We'll see, if I become super rich and travel everywhere else I want to go first then I will head back there for more time. I've heard they have good scuba diving but I didn't get to do that there. The canopy tour was pretty cool when we did that. I love zip lining!

No comments: